January 28, 2011

Jade


27/365

My little Jade plant, all grown up. My botanical version of Espresso.  A propagated gift from Begs and Amber a few years back; a cut off piece of their's turned into my own. Just a stem, some roots and a few leafs when I brought it home.

Sorry for the short post tonight, I was writing for money this evening. I'll make up for it.

Update: You can find the story here. *Yawn*

Here's what wasn't in the story:

I was standing at ice level along the boards, notebook in hand, camera slung over my shoulder.

"Scarborough goalllll scored by nummmber 8, Connor......."

There was a tap on my shoulder.

"Actually it was No. 28 who scored..."

I must have looked like a reporter. I knew the lady was right, No. 8 wasn't even on the ice. I thanked her and went back to the game, which had resumed.

"He scored the first goal too."

I checked my notebook. Yep, she was right. Again, I turned my attention back to the game.

"He's my son."

That part had become obvious.

"He's only a freshman." she beamed.

I told her I was from the Forecaster and her son would certainly be in my story. Heck, the kid was good.

I hesitate to interview freshman after games. High School kids can be awkward interviews to begin with, let alone a freshman. Middle school hockey doesn't really prepare you for doing post-game interviews with reporters. But I asked the coach and he was fine with it and sent the goal scorer with the proud mother out to meet me.

He came out of the locker room shirtless and barefoot, still wearing his hockey shorts with pads underneath. A very hockey way to be interviewed.

"So, the tying and game winning goals, not bad for a freshman. What happened on the game winner?"

"Well, I couldn't have done it without my teammates..."

Kids ready for the NHL. It was cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment