November 6, 2010

Hiking with Mom

The only thing better than doing what you love is getting the chance to share it.Three weeks ago I got to do just that when my Mom hiked up to the hut with me for the beginning of my shift. 

She invited a few friends to come along and met me at Pinkham Notch Monday morning. After shuttling my car to my usual parking area in Randolph we headed up the Valley Way trail from Appalachia. Mom, Betsy, Shelley and Athena had gotten a head start up the trail while Don and I moved my truck, but we quickly caught them. Well, everyone but my Mom.

Mom had left the parking area ahead of her group and had already taken a wrong turn in the maze of RMC trails. Luckily, cell phones work in the area and we quickly got her back on track. No more hiking alone Mom! 

Mom wouldn't let me hike with her though. She wanted to keep her own pace and not worry about holding me back. I was willing to hike any pace just to be with her, but let her have her way. Leaving her with Shelley and Betsy, along with a map and instructions, Athena, Don and I blazed ahead. 

In a blatant overuse of technology, Mom and I kept in touch via text message. I would text her from a trail junction with instructions for her to text me when she reached the same junction. This way, I could make sure they were on the right trail, and also make sure they were still keeping a reasonable pace for the trip. After the first junction, they were already 40 minutes behind. I was worried, but I sent Mom a few pep-talk texts and kept heading up the trail. 

I voiced my concerns to Athena, who knows the relationship between my Mom and I as well as anyone. I had confidence my Mom would have no problem turning around if she needed to— she is smart like that. Athena reminded me though, that while my Mom knows her limits, she will also do anything for her sons and she knew how important this trip was to me. 

At the next junction, with my Mom's group over an hour behind, I sent Mom another text, telling her that I was proud of her whether she makes it to the hut or not. And reminding her that if she needed to turn around, I'd do the same and hike down with her. Still, she kept plugging away. 

My Mom's slower pace on the easier terrain worried me. The Valley Way trail only gets harder, with the final 1000 yards being infamously rugged. However, as the terrain got difficult her groups pace stayed the same. Slow, but steady. She was doing great. 

I reached the start of the final 1000 yards, which had a smattering of icy spots for the first time this fall, and headed up ahead of Athena and Don. I wanted to warn outgoing hut crew, particularly the cook who oversees our tight quarters, of my groups upcoming invasion. Athena and Don arrived 30 minutes later after me. While Athena got warm inside, Don headed up Mt. Madison and I nervously waited for my Mom. She texted saying she was at the bottom of the 1000 yards and heading up. I waited another 45 minutes or so and began hiking down to meet her. I found her just below tree line, plugging away at the steep, icy, rocky stretch that burns the legs of even the strongest hikers. She was going to make it, and with a smile too!

Madison Col had been thickly frosted with rime ice the previous night giving it a sparkling but chilly appearance. I wanted to show my Mom around the Col, but figured she needed a break. Nope. We headed right by the hut and up to the Starr Lake and the Parapet, the alpine lake and scenic overlook a quarter mile up hill from the hut. 

Having my Mom up at the hut with me made my whole experience on the project seem that much more real. I knew both she and my Dad were proud of what I was doing, but having her there, and seeing that she shared a bit of my awe for the area meant a lot. Even before the hut project, Madison Col was a special place to me. And after the project is done, I hope to continue bringing friends and family there so they can experience it for themselves. Mom will always be the first though, and I couldn't be more proud of her for it. 

Mom and I in the Col between Mt Madison and Adams. 10-11-10. 




No comments:

Post a Comment