January 5, 2011

Mornings

4/365




Today didn't start off so great.

Alarm. Coffee. Simple, right?

Well... I got a new coffee maker for Christmas. It's called an Aeropress. Get one. It's like a syringe for coffee, except instead of a needle there's a filter. And if there was a needle instead of a filter, I'd still use it.

The only problem is that it totally changes how I make my coffee in the morning. Fill the syringe tube with grounds, pour in correct amount of hot water, use plunger thing, inject Espresso (not my dog) into a mug, add hot water to fill mug. Drink. These steps would be easy to follow if I could have my coffee beforehand, but —well you can probably figure the problem out there.

So back to this morning. Yawn. Add coffee grounds to Aeropress. Yawnnnnn. One scoop, two scoops. Is water boiling? No. Stoves not on. Turn on stove. Boil water. Pour hot water into Aeropress. Stir. Inject.

Where's the plunger? Damn it, I want my coffee, where's the plunger?!

I look everywhere. In the trash. In the sink. Under the dishes. I actually DID my dishes to help look. I check in the cabinets. In the freezer. With the silverware. In the dog food bag. Fridge. Freezer. Floor. Nowhere to be found. I had gotten up early so I could enjoy my coffee and now I was running late, and —I hadn't had my coffee.

I give up. I'm about to dump the coffee from the press-less Aeropress when I realize the presser was already in the press-e. The plunger was already pressed into the Aeropress. I had added the coffee, and the hot water to the hollow top of the syringe plunger. Genius.

But Hallalueah! Coffee! I fix the problem, finally injecting  Espresso (not my dog) into my travel mug, adding hot water, some milk, gathering my stuff and running out the door.

Without my travel mug.

On a positive note, the sunrise was beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. wow .........did you know drinking a glass of apple juice in the morning is just as effective ....just saying :). I heart this photo ..Its very good

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rough. Yeah I've seen the Aeropress, my friend here swears by it.
    Great photo, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Total empathy. Giving up coffee = epic fail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will never face a problem that's not charged with opportunity. This one gave you a clean kitchen to come home to (smile). LovU, Mom

    ReplyDelete