March 25, 2011

Packing Process Progress In Piles

85/365

There is a "Here we go again," feeling that comes with repacking for Madison, but overall it feels much different this time. The nervous anticipation of the unknown has been replaced with excitement to see old friends. Instead of calling for necessary new-job details as I was 6-months ago, I am calling the office to track down Matt to see what he has in mind for hikes and to let him know I'll be crashing on his floor if I head to Pinkham Sunday night. 

Packing is similar to going on a hike as its a lot of the same stuff (backpack, sleeping bag, long johns) etc., but there are camping things I don't need (a stove, a water filter) and there are hut things I do need (a hammer, tape measure, cribbage board)

When I hike I make one big pile, sort through it, add a few things take away a few things and then jam it all, a precisely organized mess, into my pack. Done. Madison is different. I need to plan what I am packing up on my back, the essential clothing, bedding and other lightweight gear, what I need for the hike (crampons, snow shoes, gaiters) and what I am having flown up, the non-essential and heavy items, like  extra clothes, rain gear, insulated work clothing, tools, beer and skis. 

There is a margin for error since I'll be hiking up and down every week. Still, it's nice to use the helicopter while I have the chance and semi important to remember the essentials the first week. 

Today I began the process, but it was more throwing everything out of my storage bins, putting it in a big pile and calling it progress. 

Hey, its progress. 

No comments:

Post a Comment