March 27, 2011

Booked

86/365

An essential piece of the packing process, stocking up on books to keep me occupied up at the hut. Last season it was Peter Matthiessen (The Snow Leopard and Killing Mister Watson) and Edward Abby (Desert Solitaire and the Monkey Wrench Gang). It was Abby who grabbed my interest as I read sitting at the kitchen after dinner, by the stove with my sheet up, or in my sleeping bag by headlamp. 

I shop for books by Author, I get hooked on a particular one, read a group of his books, stall and then move on.  First it was Rick Ridgeway, then Hunter S. Thompson, then Abby, whom my interest in has recently hit a wall. This spring at the hut its going to be Jack Kerouac (The Road, Big Sur and The Dharma Bums) and Kurt Vonnegut (Slaughterhouse Five). 

I am just as excited to get back and enjoy quiet reading time as I am to be in the mountains, go for after-dinner hikes and build a historic hut.

No comments:

Post a Comment