February 28, 2011

Horse Around

58/365
Being around horses is new to me. 

Meet Netty, she's the one above and is also in this picture. She is sweet and seems to like me a bit. She'll put her head near my shoulder, sniff my hair and patiently stand while I pet her. Then there is Gizmo. He is more spastic; trouble to get in at night and is always a bit nervous—sweet none the less. They are both beautiful and apparently come spring I am going to be taught to ride them. It sounded easy at first, but I have been told "Don't worry if I fall off." Fall off? Maybe it wont be that easy. 

Being around animals larger and stronger than you is an experience. Think about it. When was the last time you were around a creature you could not physically move or verbally reason into moving? As an adult male, not recently for me.

In a way, it reminds me of what I always tell people who ask if I have seen a moose while hiking. I haven't, and the idea of it makes me nervous. Netty will chase Espresso out of the field, running up behind him while he scampers away and ducks between the bars of the gate. She wont hurt him, and actually slows down and turns away when she gets close. A moose, wouldn't be so gracious and there would be no gate to dive through, for me or Espresso.

No comments:

Post a Comment