February 28, 2011

Punch List Day

59/365

Today was a day tasks. Some new tasks, like getting the horses in from the rain all by myself. Twice. Some ol' fashin work tasks, like drywall repairs in Stacey's bathroom. A few classic tasks I should always do anyway, like shoveling and doing the dishes. And an exciting task that few people can say they've ever done, like prepping my resume to apply for a job on Antarctica—the available jobs will start being posted online tomorrow.

It seems appropriate to be starting the Antarctica process on a weather canceled work day. That's how Madison began as well. Work was canceled because of weather so I sat at home drafting a cold e-mail to the AMC..."I am writing to enquire about the possibility of joining the AMC construction crew that will be renovating the Madison Hut this coming fall and spring..." A formal begining to what would become a very infomall application process. I had a lot to learn about the AMC, but it worked. Less than two months later, I was living and working at the hut.

I expect the Antarctica process to be much more formal. Many hoops to jump through, applications to fill out, background checks, drug tests, medical, dental and rectal exams. It will be exciting and I'll keep posting updates here.

For now, it's exactly a month, four weeks, until our scheduled airlift to Madison. I doubt we'll fly on schedule, we never do, but it's a date to shoot for. And I've been told that I might just get airlifted up myself, beer, tools and all (they said that last time too though).

No comments:

Post a Comment