February 20, 2011

30?! Walking the Tightrope

50/365
"I'm going to be 30."

I'm going to be 30?! It may have been my first time saying it out loud—it's less than a month away.

There's a line in a Jack Johnson Song. "We're a cross between our parents and hippies in a tent." The line implies progression, you start as a hippy in a tent and end up like your parents.

Walking the tightrope between carefree and responsibility. Can I balance the two? Nine to five, punching the clock, full benefits, cooking dinner, paying bills. Or carrying your world on your back, going where the wind takes you, take out to dinner, paycheck to paycheck, never answering your phone.

I feel like 30 is the crossroads. Which road do I take? For now, I say fuck the road and take the trails. Right down the middle. Not walking the right rope from one end to the other, but balancing in the middle. Teetering.

*For the record, being like my parents wouldn't be so bad. They're awesome and far from boring. It's just an unfair symbol implying boring and responsible. 

All my friends are getting older,
I guess I must be too.
Without their love and kindness
I don't know what I would do.
Oh the wine bottle's half empty.
The money's all been spent.
We're a cross between our parents
And hippies in a tent.
Oh, Love calls just like the wild birds
It's just another day
Spring wind blew my list of things to do away.

~Jack Johnson Spring Wind




No comments:

Post a Comment