February 24, 2011

Progress

54/365

I stopped on the overpass over 295 in Portland yesterday. The setting sun gleamed off Back Bay as cars zoomed under me. 

What was Portland like before all this was here? A giant peninsula jutting into Casco Bay. Hills on both the East and West ends. A big circular back bay separating the peninusla from the rolling fields that gently spread away from the coast. The Mouth of the Fore River to the south. The Presumpscot to the North.

Portland is a beautiful city. Mainers are lucky that their largest city is so scenic. It doesn't stop me from wishing I could have seen it before it was. We can't go back. 

There was an article in the paper yesterday about post-recession Gorham, the then little-ish town I called home growing up. Development is starting to pick up again. Mosher corner is the site of Mosher farm, their little corn stand and Beal's Ice Cream, a local favorite after Little League games, win or lose. The area is surrounded by open fields, tall grass, corn.  Now, it's all being harvested away for money. 

Although the corner is the intersection of two major routes, there was never even a stop light. There is now. The area is being developed... "Vista Park Condominiums, which is approved for a drive-up business such as a bank or restaurant."

"I am cautiously optimistic," Duchaine said."

"We are pleased," said Tom Ellsworth, director of the Gorham Economic Development Corp.

Elsewhere in town, Barrows Green House, a family owned Greenhouse next door to my old elementary school is closing. The family is retiring—selling the land.

"Duchaine is buying 14 acres, now home to Barrows Greenhouses at 312 Main St., and plans to build 26 single-family houses and five duplexes."
Progress?

I know our world needs to grow but the world can't. Change is inevitable. I just wish more thought went into it. 


1 comment:

  1. How many times did I walk the old bridge to visit my friend Carol Viola on the other side. Of course it was not the bridge it is today, but an older bridge that connected the bay. Carol and I first met at Jack Jr High, now the also new elementary school at the top of the east end hill. Of course even more fun and forbidden was when we walked the train tracks and crossed the train bridge, to meet with friends. LovU Mom

    ReplyDelete