March 20, 2011

Peeking — And an Antarctica Update

79/365

She's sneaky beautiful, the kind that doesn't need primping or makeup. One of my new favorite pictures. 

***

I promised an Antarctica update for today, so here it is, but before I get into it, a bit of a disclaimer. I am cautious about updating the process. It's new to me and I know little about it. Nothing is set in stone and being offered a job is far from a sure thing. I could be rejected merely because I have never had my wisdom teeth out. Like when I accepted the Madison job, but on a larger scale, it would be a difficult decision. I'm a homebody, and leaving, for four or so months, the smiling face pictured above, my pup who isn't getting any younger, and all else I hold dearly, would be decision to think long and hard about. That being said, living and working on Antarctica would be an opportunity of a lifetime. Despite my trepidation, I'll update the process here as needed. I want this blog to be a true representation of my year. Onward. 

I got a response from Raytheon Polar Services Friday regarding my applications for working in Antartica. My resume made it through the screening process for at least one of the various carpenter positions I applied. It's a minor step that sets the real application process in motion and begins to reveal more of what I should expect if I am offered and accept a position working on the ice.

For starters, here is a brief fact sheet regarding Antartica. It's a PDF, so it may take a minute to open. Here's a primer. 
"This continent is the highest, driest, coldest, windiest, and emptiest place on earth. An ice sheet covers approximately 98% of Antarctica. At its thickest point the ice sheet is 4,776 m (nearly 3 mi) deep. This ice is approximately 90% of all the world's ice (by volume) and is 70% of all the world’s fresh water. There are many penguins and abundant sea life along the coast – but there is little life on the continent, and there are no indigenous people."
And regarding the temperatures...
"The mean annual temperature at South Pole Station is minus 49°C (-56°F). During the austral summer, temperatures at McMurdo Station may reach as high as 10°C (50°F), while at South Pole Station, the summer temperature may reach minus 18°C (-0.4°F). Palmer Station has a milder climate, with summer temperatures reaching as high as 13°C (55°F)."
My first preference is to be at the South Pole station, with McMurdo being the other likely place. Palmer is less likely as it is a small station and more competitive to land a job at.

So what would I be doing there? I know several people who have worked on the ice, all connections I have made working for the AMC on Madison. From what I've gathered, as a carpenter I'd be supporting research programs and scientist, building whatever they need, such as mobile research stations that are set up away from the bases during the summer months. That's about all I know, and it may be totally wrong.

For now, I'll just plug away at the application process. Professional references and background checks are next. After that, peeing in a cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment