March 14, 2011

Everything's Ducky

74/365

I stopped to shoot ducks again today, the third time in the last month. The first two times I missed, once so badly I shot my tire. My aim was better today but there were so many of them, how could I miss?

I'm starting to read again. This daily blog takes up so much of my literary time, I had to set down my book two weeks into posting daily.  I was reading Fools Progress, Edward Abby, but I sputtered and stalled. I'm going to let it idle for a bit.  I'm starting up Heyduke Lives, a spinoff of the Monkey Wrench Gang, and eccentric main character George Washington Heyduke, an Abby-fan favorite. 

I only kept my eyes open for a chapter last night, the day felt an hour short, but it got me excited about reading again like only a play-by-play of a desert tortoise being chased by a road-building bulldozer just doing its job can. 
"Something huge and yellow, blunt-nosed glass-eyes grilled faced with a mandible of shining steel, belching black jolts of smoke from a single nostril of seared metal, looms suddenly, gigantically behind the old desert turtle"
That's how I want to write and the first step is reading more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment