March 11, 2011

Sweet Horses

70/365

The horses, Gizmo and Netty, helped make my day. Gray, slushy, muddy and drizzling, not insurmountable weather, but not prime weather to make your Birthday great. 

I strolled outside late in the morning to say "Hi" to the pair. After jumping the fence into the field, I started tapping my leg and talking to Gizmo. He was skeptical, as always, but let me approach and pet the side of his face before turning his head away. Before long he relaxed as we chatted and Netty came walking over to say "Hello" too. 

Gizmo took to sniffing and licking my hand while Netty had put her head on my shoulder, smelling my hair. I'd take out my phone to check the time, or to text Stacey to tell her how sweet her horses were being, and both would perk up with curiosity. One would sniff the phone while the other nudged it with its nose or licked it as Gizzy did on one occasion. If I put my hand back in my pocket, Giz would nudge my ribs or my hip until I took it back out. Netty would wiggle her nose and lips on my back. 

Gizmo can be a brat. He'll chase Netty away from the hay feeder and otherwise just be ornery—like me sometimes. Today he was a sweetheart, even to Netty, playfully moving his lips on her neck when I would step away. 

It's like they knew it was my birthday. 


1 comment: