September 11, 2010

My first two days...

I had heard in the past that Madison Hut Croos grow to loath the Valley Way Trail, considered the easiest and most protected route to the Hut. It is not an overly difficult trail, but it's protection makes it a bit monotonous as it builds in difficulty with little reward, gaining about 3500 feet in elevation over 3.8 miles.

I hiked up alone, meeting Tom, the job supervisor, at the hut. He had hiked up the Airline Trail, which is similar in distance but follows the more exposed Durrand Ridge. I will likely use this trail for my commute from now on. Eric Pedersen, the AMC Huts Manager, along with the fall Hut Croo (George, Everett, Margaret, Dorothy and Tom (another Tom), were at the hut packing everything that needed to be airlifted out; old signs, blankets, food, tables, benches, books, memorabilia. Bethany, who will be the cook for our crew, got to the hut and began helping a little while later.

Disposing of gone-bad potatoes with a cricket bat. Photo by KBW

Tom and I got to work taking apart bunks in the old Adams side bunk room, which would eventually become the CC's kitchen. The bunks were four high, with the lowest bunk basically being on the floor. Tom had assembled the bunks at Madison in 1978, one of his first tasks with the AMC. 

Taking apart old bunks in what is now our temporary kitchen. That's me in the foreground. Photo by Eric Pedersen

That night was the last for Madison's Fall Hut Croo. Tom, Beth and I enjoyed a celebratory dinner with them. Later we all (minus Tom who went to bed) turned out the lights and enjoyed a rousing came of hide-and-seek through the old hut. This may stick a one of my fondest memories of this whole endeavor. 

In the morning the Fall Croo finished packing up and headed out, leaving just me, Tom and Beth. Beth kept organizing while Tom and I began preparing our new living quarters. I enlarged a few doorways so we could move appliances and hacked a hole in the side of the old dinning room to function as a new doorway during destruction. The rest of the crew began arriving one by one and we all went to work demoing the old hut, starting with the croo room and kitchen. 

By the end of the day, the roof and three exterior walls of the croo room were gone, leaving only the floor, which our supplies were landed on when the helicopter made its first drop that evening. We had six drops (food and personal items) that evening and sent five loads off packed old-hut items back down. I had carried up my essential items but was happy to see my personal things (tools, rain gear, beer) show up in one of the nets. 

Photo by KBW

The airlifts were remarkable. 800 lbs dangling in a net below the helicopter set carefully just outside our door.  Beth put together a great food order for us. We will be eating very well while working on the hut. 


It was a good thing we got those six airlifts in when we did because the weather window closed and the helicopter was unable to fly the remainder of our shift. It looks like today (Saturday) will be good for flying though, and our 30 to 40, 1600lb loads of materials and tools should be received by the weekend crew. 

We do have a bunkroom and bunks available to us (thankfully) but Tuesday night I laid my sleeping bag out on the floor of the old croo room (now with no walls or roof), enjoyed the stars and one perfecting shooting star over Madison. The sky was clear, but I eventually I began to see faint flashes and light flickering through the windows on the other side of the hut. I thought it was a hiker descending Adams towards the hut via headlamp and waited for awhile to find out. Eventually, I leaned out over the edge of the hut, peaking around to the Adams side and saw lightning, flashing away to the west in the valley. I watched it for a bit and eventually packed up my sleeping bag and quietly headed into the bunkroom. 

Wednesday was more demolition.... 

Thursday and Friday was more demolition, with lots of wind, rain and temps in the high 30's. 

 (Photo by KBW)

No comments:

Post a Comment